case study: band together
Band Together NC is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that uses live music as a platform for social change. The organization has helped raise funds and awareness for local nonprofits every year since its founding in 2001.
For the fifth year in a row, Band Together engaged S&A Communications to help with the immediate need of raising sponsorship funds, selling tickets and supporting promotional efforts for a May 4, 2013, concert headlined by Lyle Lovett and benefitting Tammy Lynn Center for Developmental Disabilities. S&A also devised tactics to help with Band Together’s long-term need of strengthening the brand on a regional level to facilitate future fundraising efforts, and attract and retain active volunteers.
- Conduct primary research in the form of informal discussions with Band Together board members, committee leaders and volunteers.
- Employ a multi-pronged approach to communications that leveraged both traditional PR and marketing, as well as new media.
- Target media outreach to local broadcast and print outlets, as well as digital marketing.
- Design a fresh, bold logo.
- Develop a variety of collateral needs, including fliers, handbills, a billboard, sponsorship packets, and artwork for print-at-home tickets to raise awareness about Band Together.
- Work with Band Together on a series of year-round events, including the third annual Last Band Standing battle-of-the bands competition, after-work socials, “BT Roadies” service projects, and a new “Backyard Cahoot” house concert.
- Raised $861,598 for the Tammy Lynn Center, exceeding the $850,000 objective and representing a 52 percent increase over the $566,000 raised in 2012.
- Drew slightly fewer than 4,000 attendees to the main event. Six service events drew a total of 240 volunteers, representing an increase of 135 percent from the previous year.
- Attracted 323 sponsors, beating the target of 250, and surpassing the 2012 sponsor total by 70 percent.
- Negotiated a sponsorship with WNCN, resulting in $33,796 in ad value equivalents, including $21,000 for on-air promotions across all day parts, and $12,296 for online ads and social media generating 529,617 impressions and 180 click-throughs.
- Grew Band Together’s Facebook following from 2,000 to 2,443 “likes.”
- Tracked over 350 media placements and calendar listings, including an appearance on the WNCN Today morning news show and WRAL Morning News; live coverage of the event on WNCN Weekend News; multiple write-ups in local magazines.